locatio-apulia-Manduria

Manduria, City view from behind the cathdral

The Giudecca of Manduria is located in the area of the Chiesa Matrice and developed around the synagogue which is still standing. The Jews of Manduria lived prosperously in the city until the 13th century when Charles of Anjou imposed harsh life conditions to the Jews hoping that this would force them to convert. With the edict of expulsion of 1510, many Jews fled, the giudecca was enclosed within walls and gates were built at its entrance.