Medieval streets, Belforte del Chienti
A Jewish presence in Belforte can be traced back to the end of the 1300’s, as indicated by legal documents from that time. By 1458, documents regarding loans by or to Jews were drafted differently than Christian ones. The recurrence of Jewish names such as Aronne, Emmanuel, Simone, Salomone, in legal documents is further proof of their presence. Jews resided in the south-eastern part of town, known as Accorciatoia San Giovanni, often referred to as the Jewish Ghetto up until the early 20th century. The Jewish last name of Belforte is all that remains today of this community.