City view, Cagli
Documents speak of Jewish presence in Cagli since the early 15th century. The strategic position between Umbria and Marche promoted the establishment of a Jewish community with thriving businesses and money lending activities. According to the scholar Albert Mazzacchera, the synagogue was located in the street once known as dell”Impetrata. The Impetrata, paved with bricks in 1575, in the area below the cathedral and Via Lapis, was known as the Jewish quarter. In Via Fonte del Duomo, 5 there is a small stone building, one of the few testimonies of the old Jewish quarter.