City view, Camerino
Jewish merchants and artisans populated Camerino as early as the 1400’s. The historian A. Luzzato found documents indicating that in 1439 Francesco Sforza drew up a contract with local Jews for loans for the production and export of textiles. Camerino was one of eleven towns between Ancona and Rome where Jewish merchants were known as active in trade. The town and its Jewish community began a rapid decline in 1545, as Camerino was incorporated into the Papal States. At that time the Jews were forced to move in the area between what is now Piazza Garibaldi and the church of San Francesco, where one can still find a narrow street called Vicolo della Giudecca. In 1569 the Jews were expelled from Camerino and found refuge in Pesaro, Urbino and Senigallia. Camerino and Camerini can be still found today as Jewish last names.