locatio-Marche-Matelica

City view, Matelica

Jewish presence in Matelica is recorded since the 13th century, documented by a great number of parchments, contracts and letters of loan that are preserved in the City Archives. In 1287 the first money ending license was granted to Dattolo, son of Maestro Gaudio Ebreo. No trace remains of the Jewish community in the local toponomastic, nor of the synagogue, located in Vicolo del Cuoio, 2, according to oral tradition.