City view, Matelica

Jewish presence in Matelica has been recorded since the 13th century, documented by a great number of parchments, contracts and letters of loan that are preserved by the City Archives.

In 1287, the first money lending license was granted to Dattolo, son of Maestro Gaudio Ebreo. No trace remains of the Jewish community in the local toponomastic, nor of the synagogue, located in Vicolo del Cuoio, 2, according to oral tradition.