The old Jewish cemetery of Pesaro was just outside Porta Fano. Its earliest mention dates from 1214 and the oldest surviving fragment of a tomb stone is dated 1415.
A second cemetery was inaugurated after 1550, on the San Bartolo hill, where it still stands. The new cemetery, completely enclosed by walls, can be accessed through a large gate. After the Holy See took control of the Duchy of Urbino, Jews were prohibited to use burial stones and inscriptions. Yet, amidst the thick vegetation covering the hill today, one can stills see headstones and memorial inscriptions in the most varied styles. The higher up the hill, the oldest and most elaborate.