In Urbino, the ancient capital of the Duchy, the first documented Jewish presence dates from the middle of the 14th century. Several land purchases are recorded from that time, particularly by the family of Master Daniel, in the district if Gadana (called to this day “Mountain of the Jews”). One of these lands was probably used as burial ground. Due to continued landslides, a new cemetery opened in 1874, not far from the old one. The old tombstones were relocated along its Eastern wall.
Centro Primo Levi New York-15 West 16th Street New York, NY 10011