Jews resided in Monterubbiano since the end of the thirteenth century, when rule over the town was disputed between the Malatesta and the Sforza families.
Local Jews were involved with the manufacturing of textiles, wool and leather.
The Jews lived in various parts of town, particularly in the district of St. Giovanni, St. Basso and St. Nicolò. In the latter, along what is now Via Garibaldi, the ghetto was established in 1555. The street was lined with small houses built on the city walls and connected by underground walkways, still partly visible today.
At number 28, there is portal with a round arch; it was originally the entrance of the synagogue. The south side of the street, occasionally interrupted by narrow streets, looks onto the Aso valley.